Monday, February 23, 2009

Miss Thompson Plays Darts at the 321 Club

The Dart League King by Keith Lee Morris (Tin House Books, $15, ISBN 978-0-9794198-8-1) is seriously overdue, but I don't want to bring this little book back to the library. I'm sorry I finished it, and I might even have to read it again.  Or (don't tell my dad) buy it. ("Don't buy a book, Miss Thompson, if you can get it at the library.") I write a rare fan letter when something hits home, and this Clemson University English professor is definitely hearing from me. (I've actually heard back from author Jane Stern and actor Sam Waterston, which makes me a lifelong fan.) So The Dart League King: The writing is impeccable. Some of the characters are dangerous, and you'll sense SOMETHING BAD IS GOING TO HAPPEN without the writer ever saying so. It's all in his pace, and the narrative flow. Wow. I want to write like this. I'm going to see if Keith Lee Morris is teaching at any writer's workshops this summer. One more thing: This handsome paperback has one of those heavy-stock covers with book flaps that work as bookmarks. Love this. Speaking of love, Miss Thompson was once carried away by a handsome dart king of her own. Therefore, she was predisposed to like this book. The book didn't fail her like the dart king did. Then again, the book didn't drive a Corvette. C'est la vie.
*Miss Thompson wore Burt's Bees Wings of Love All-Natural Lipstick in Grace pink to write this review.* 

2 comments:

Teacher Resource Blog said...

Hey Miss Thompson, aka, you know who you are, love your entries! What style! What panache! Can't you tell I'm a fan.

Toni Gardner said...

wonderful scintillating reviews, my dearest one! But What Really Matters to ME: Who is the Bad Dart Boy??

xox